Transmission Installation Instructions
**Please Read. Failure to follow these instructions will result in voided warranty**
Thank You for your order. Below you will find instructions on the installation of your new transmission . If you have any questions concerning installation of your transmission call Garmon's Diesel Performance at 770-227-8998.
- If you are installing your new transmission in a 1994 to 2002 model Dodge Ram, the hose clamps located on the two rubber lines coming off of the front of the transmission cooler need to be tightened. If you have plastic clips on ANY of the transmission lines you must replace all the lines. They WILL NOT hold the pressure of this transmission. We will not warranty your unit due to blown cooler lines, this will potentially cause destruction of your new unit if not replaced. You can find the lines at NAPA.
Failure to properly flush cooler will result in failure of electronics and will not be covered under warranty!
- Put RED Loctite on all torque converter bolts. Use only the torque converter bolts that we supplied to you or damage to the torque converter will result!! Very important!
- Torque specs for flexplate are as follows:
Torque converter to flexplate - 50 ft/lbs
Flexplate to crank - 105 ft/lbs
- Pull the transmission up to the bell housing by using a 14mm socket and ratchet. NOT AN IMPACT. Once transmission is bolted to bell housing the converter should be free. If it is locked up something is wrong.
- DO NOT leave the bell housing to transmission alignment dowels in your core transmission. You must use these dowels when installing your new transmission. Failure to do so will result in damage to your new transmission and voided warranty.
- Use Dextron 3 transmission fluid only! Add 8 quarts before starting engine, crank truck and place in neutral with parking brake on. Continue to fill (aprox 8-9 quarts) until full. Should take aprox 16-17 quarts with a stock pan. (Double deep pan aprox 21) Check to make sure it is completely full before operation. Check fluid in neutral.
- If you have an 04 or newer Dodge Ram with a TV motor transmission, before your test drive you need to reset the TV motor. You can do this by turning the key to the run position but do not start. The check engine should flash. If it doesn’t flash, wait about 1 minute and turn the key off, then crank the truck. Failure to do this could cause damage to your Transmission.
- IF YOU HAVE A 68RFE TRANSMISSION YOU MUST TAKE YOUR TRUCK TO THE DODGE DEALERSHIP AND HAVE A TRANSMISSION RELEARN DONE ON THE PCM.
IT CAN ALSO BE DONE WITH SOME SCAN TOOLS THAT HAVE THE RELEARN CAPABILITIES.
THIS MUST BE DONE IMMEDIATELY AFTER INSTALLATION OF YOUR NEW TRANSMISSION. YOU CAN NOT DRIVE YOUR TRUCK UNTIL YOU HAVE THIS PROCEDURE COMPLETED OR FAILURE THAT WILL NOT BE COVERED UNDER WARRANTY WILL OCCUR
DUE TO THE NATURE OF TRANSMISSION FAILURES IT IS IMPERATIVE THAT YOUR TRANSMISSION COOLER BE FLUSHED THOROUGHLY TO REMOVE ANY DEBRIS FROM THE COOLER AND COOLER LINES.
FAILURE TO PROPERLY FLUSH THE COOLER WILL RESULT IN FAILURE OF THE ELECTRONICS WHICH WILL NOT BE COVERED UNDER WARRANTY.
GARMONS DIESEL PERFORMANCE, INC